The existing NIHR HIC Viral Hepatitis theme has been extended to take advantage of strategic opportunities for collaboration, impact, and benefit, and to build on a range of existing NIHR, NHS, and Public Health England (PHE) investments.
Aims of the NIHR HIC
This NIHR HIC theme is focussing on infectious diseases of particular relevance to NHS infection control and PHE strategy, with a focus on sepsis and anti-microbial resistance, including E. coli, K. pneumoniae, S. aureus, Tuberculosis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and C. difficile.
Of initial interest is E. Coli infections and the antibiotic prescribing practice to inpatients, at the NHS Acute Trusts involved to help enable research and improve clinical practice in this area. A better understanding of the relationship between antibiotic use and resistance is key.
- Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Guy’s & St Thomas’ Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
- University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust